Sunday, May 16, 2010

Finally Got my Surgery Date...



On January 5, 2010 I had my first Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) appointment and was given a list of requirements that I had to follow before my surgery could be scheduled. Some of the requirements were.


  • A psych evaluation which much to my surprise after 2 visits I was cleared. For those that know me this perhaps was a mistake. LOL 
  • Several Nutrition meetings where we set goals for my life after WLS. I will discuss some of these changes later in this post. 
  • Sleep Study- where I had mild sleep apnea which should go away with weight loss. This was an interesting evening. My was in the ER at the same hospital with a heart attack and I was expected to sleep well. Needless to say he is doing much better and I do not have to sleep with a Darth Vadar mask like my spouse.
  • Support group meetings- my insurance requires 3 meetings. I struggled at first to get to them however they are so helpful I plan on continuing throughout the process. Of course I do find a lot of humor in the meetings perhaps that is my nervousness. I crack up every time I go because of the way people sit. A lot of people like to sit at the ends especially fat people so they can have more room. This however causes a problem because if on fat person sits at the end it makes it difficult for other fat people to slide by to get to the inside seats. So every time I enter the room I crack up because the end seats are all taken and no one in the middle.

So it has been six months and my surgery date has been scheduled for June. I have learned a lot throughout this process and really think that I should be able to carry these habits into my post WLS life.

• New reciepes- recently I purchased the book “Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery” by Patt Levine• New reciepes- recently I purchased the book “Eating Well after Weight

• Hot sauce- I love hot sauce thanks to my niece in Colorado for being such a sriracha freak and getting my hooked. When I put this on the foods that are not particularly yummy or exciting to my palate it makes things bearable.
• Chicken- for those that know me I hated chicken I now realize it is a good source of protein and if cooked correctly is quite yummy.

• Crystal light on the go packets- I hate water so this is a lifesaver. I keep about 6 different flavors in my desk , pocketbook, car, and kitchen. Just toss it in a bottle and voila a tasty refreshing drink.

• Protien shakes- I have tested out many different things and now have a good idea of what will work when I really need them after the WLS.



Well I am down 20 lbs and hope to continue. Leave me a comment below and tell me what you think, suggest, ask a question. LET ME KNOW SOMEONE IS READING THIS!!!

Below are links to some of the items that have worked for me.















1 comment:

  1. Hey Lisa,
    As I am totally computer dumb, I'm hoping my little post will appear to you...I am extremely proud of you and happy that you are doing this...I'm also happy that Darth Vader doesn't have another convert, but an concerned about those performing the psych eval. Are you sure they were fully credentialled??? They didn't escape from Nurse Ratchet and the coocoo's nest???

    Laura

    ReplyDelete