Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Eating your way around Nantucket

I am sitting here watching the traffic build up outside my Union St. house, on a rainy day in Nantucket thinking how lucky I am. This is one of my favorite places to go in the summer. I have spent more than nine summers living here in college and after and have many “must do’s” on my list when I return each summer for a vacation. Now my children are also starting their own “must do” list.

The island has many amazing restaurants so there are a lot of places I love. Jeff and I usually go out one night (sans kids). Here are a few that we love.


We also have a few family traditions that have been developed through the years.

  • Lobster take-out from Sayles Seafood . They cook and do everything for you and you eat at home. (Always the night before the trash gets picked up so we do not have lobster smell all week.)
  • Sushi by Yoshi – Try a Dynamite Roll. I usually sneak this in for a quick lunch. My oldest daughter is now starting to crave them.
  • Sea Grill when we have time we like to take the whole family out. The girls think that they are going to a fancy restaurant, the food is great, and they deal with the kids better than me.

Finally here is my kids must do list: (growing each year)

  • Juice Bar: every night possible for ice cream. Yumm!! Force Five Water Sports – your typical cool surf shop however in the back of the store is the mother lode. It has candy store to die for. It is also located next door to our house so it is a quick stop.
  • Nucci’s Italian Ice and Gelato - http://www.nuccisnantucket.com/ this is located at Children’s Beach so if the kids eat lunch they can get some gelato. The only problem is by the end of the day the kids have a posse of friends and this can cost you if you are not careful.


The final “must do” when on Nantucket is to visit John and Kathy at Sweet Inspirations on Centre St. They have the most amazing chocolate treats. I recommend the truffles or chocolate covered cranberries. Their chocolate almond butter crunch was the favor for our guests at my wedding. Well I hope you enjoy my list please share any of your island favorites with me.

2 comments:

  1. I love eating on vacation! We were on the Vineyard last week and it was awesome. I hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are trying a new restaurant tonight called DUNE. I will let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete